Did you know that auto immune diseases, allergies and a host of “behavioral issues” are widely believed to be attributed to harmful chemicals in our environment? Green cleaning products used to be “old wives tales” or “housewife hints” but more and more parents are moving towards safer, more environmentally friendly cleaning products and devices.
Green Cleaning and Vacuum Products For Safety
Have you ever leaned over to clean your bath and felt that odd burning feeling in your throat? That’s ammonia and bleach giving you a mild chemical burn.
Do you really want to bathe your baby in the residue?
Some mold cleaners kill mold but create an ideal place for it to re-spawn, meaning that it comes right back…so you buy more mould cleaner.
Did you know that vinegar changes the pH in your shower so mould can’t survive? And it’s about a fifteenth the price of commercial mold killers….
These very harsh, and environmentally devastating chemicals aren’t just bad for your family (and linked to skin complaints, allergies and all sorts of long term health effects) they’re devastating for the environment. The difference between a green cleaning product and a dangerous chemical could be the future of our waterways.
The Best Green Cleaning Alternatives
Not only are traditional cleaners safer for your family and the environment, most of the time they’re MUCH cheaper. Baking soda, soap nuts, vinegar, clove oil, eucalyptus oil, orange oil and walnuts are all affordable, locally available and eco-friendly clean and polishing products! Here’s a few you may not be aware of!
• A handful of soap nuts replaces harmful laundry liquids and conditioners – they cost under .03c per wash!
• Scratches on timber furniture can be buffed away by rubbing a walnut into the veneer
• Rubbing stainless steel will remove the smell of garlic better than all the expensive soaps in the world.
• Eucalyptus oil (an Australian product) in a spray bottle with water cleans windows and other glass streak free. It’s also a better antiseptic than the leading brand name medicines.
• Clove oil is the easiest way to get rid of mould and then a splash of vinegar every few days will stop it coming back.
• Everyone’s favorite green alternative to harsh, nasty drain cleaner? A box of bi-carbonate soda down the drain, followed by a bottle of vinegar. Put the plug in, and hold it down – it safely, effectively blasts away the blockage.
HEPA Vacuums are the new leader in the green cleaning industry
When allergies struck in the old days mum brought out the cleaning basket. She scrubbed with bleach. She sprayed the surface cleaner. She mopped with floor cleaner. She dusted with furniture polish. She sprayed the best with insecticide. She washed with clothes sanitizer….and after all that, little Johnny or Mary’s skin allergies, wheezing, sneezing and swelling just kept getting worse.
Removing pet hair, dust and microscopic insect droppings from the home can now be done using only a HEPA vacuum, air purifier and some green cleaning products. A HEPA vac can remove microscopic solids from your environment and an air purifier can keep them at bay between vacuums. As for floors, there’s vinegar. For furniture, there’s orange oil and walnut rubs. For laundry there are soap nuts. There’s a whole world of safer, healthier green cleaning products on the market, all you have to do is look!
Image by Julie G. on Flickr